January 19, 2010

Change Happens


Some people thrive on change, other resist it.  I am somewhere in the middle, depending on what type of change we're talking about.

Anthony's plans changed today when his PO's supervisor decided that a sober living home did not have enough structure.  Now he's looking for an in-patient recovery that he can afford and get into by NOON FRIDAY.

This morning we sat at the kitchen table and talked for three hours over coffee.  He packed his stuff, ready to go, and then got the phone call.  He's pretty upset.  It led to a good conversation where we talked about all the positive tools NA provides and right now The Serenity Prayer and One Day at a Time are critical to his recovery.

He wants to move, to get away from this area.  He has not safe friends and because he's very popular and has lived here all his life, he runs into people all the time that offer him drugs.

I don't know what that's like but on a smaller scale I can remember going on a very strict diet in '08 and working in an office that was full of delicious food that was offered to me by my co-workers who KNEW I was not eating the type of food they tempted me with.  That was easy compared to heroin but its the closest I can come to understanding what its like.

Ant feels like this is it:  do it or die.  He's been doing this for 7 years and knows that he's going to lose the few people he has left in his life if he keeps using.  I told him its because its so unbelieveable painful to watch someone you love destroy their own life.  He gets that, but the hopelessness that comes with heroin addiction pulls at him - I see it in his eyes, he's scared he can't do it.

I am taking care of me in the midst of this - thanks to those of you who care.  I really am doing good right now.

Peace, Hope and Love,
Barbara

13 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

3 hours over coffee - you rock!

Addiction--Mom trying to Detach with Love said...

I pray God will guide him to the right facility that is willing to help him get in and that he will work the program. Glad you are taking care of you:)

Heather's Mom said...

I will pray same as Mom of Opiate Addict... I will also continue to pray A has strength. I wish he had confidence in himself, but it seems like addiction is like gravity... arrgh.
Keep taking care of you and ask God to take care of A.
love & huggs!!!

Midnitefyrfly said...

I agree that the Serenity Prayer is much appropriate at times like these. ((HUGS)) to you!

Tom at recoveryhelpdesk.com said...

The government doesn't adequately fund treatment, so people like Ant often end up going to jail --which costs the government much more than treatment. The person with addiction loses, the community loses, the government loses.

And what government funding there is for treatment is such a patchwork from state to state. This is one area that I can see federal health insurance with parity for drug treatment and mental health care would make a lot more sense.

What is magic about noon Friday? Just an arbitrary date from the PO?

Tom

recoveryhelpdesk.com
junkjunk.ning.com

Elizabeth Ann said...

hugs.

Anonymous :) said...

Ant's POs supervisor sounds like an answer to prayer.

Lou said...

Fingers crossed!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Hoping it all works out for this young man

Syd said...

I hope that all works out for Ant. I'm glad that you are okay Barbara.

justLacey said...

I commented on the site Tom mentioned for a scholarship for Ant. I just checked it out and it's in Boca Raton. Not so far away from me. I was surprised.

Barbara said...

Sorry I have not responded to these comment. I could come up with several good excuses (can't find my reading glasses, its raining so hard I can't stop staring out the window wondering if my house is going to float away,

Her Big Sad said...

I'm glad you haven't washed away yet.... I'm still here too... This rain is nuts. Not to mention the occasional tornado!

gurgle, gurgle, splash, splash!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...