January 12, 2010

Tuesday Update on A and K

 This morning I took K to court and got to listen to him read an essay on why he believes he should be promoted to the next phase in his program.  The judge agreed and said some really encouraging things to him about his essay.

Then I got to meet his new probation officer - I like her even better than the other one (and he was cool).  She told K that she lives in our area so to expect to see her around often :)  She told me (in front of him) to call her anytime he was "one minute or more late for curfew" (10:00 pm).  She was not joking - but she was, if you know what I mean.  K likes her a lot (thankfully!)

Then we drove to the hospital to visit Anthony.  Unfortunately he is still not ready to breathe on his own, but they are trying to wean him off the sedative so he can be awake more.  The problem with that is that he's trying to pull the tubes out so they may have to restrain him again.  Its one thing to be restrained when you are unconscious, but to be alert, in pain and strapped to a bed sounds horrible.

It was so cool to be able to communicate with him.  He got very emotional when he saw Keven (I don't think he realizes he was there Sunday - he probably has no sense of time whatsoever).  It was hard to see him trying to reach out to K and talk, but I think his eyes said it all.  K gave him a kiss on the head and said "bro, you mean the world to me, I'm praying for you and your gonna be okay."

I had about 15 minutes alone with him, which was very special to me.  I could "read him" and sat next to him and quietly responded to what I think was going through his mind.  I told him not to use his energy being mad at himself, etc. etc. etc.  He had time for that later, now he has to focus on getting better.

We only stayed for a little while because he gets too stimulated by having visitors, he needs to rest.  Right before I left he coughed and tried to roll over and pulled his tube part of the way out!!!  I had to run out of the room and tell them and they came running.  It was not a fun thing to be a part of but I am glad I was there.  He really needs to be watched constantly.

I'm working hard to keep a healthy balance and am glad to be home early this evening.  I am just going to chill out tonight and go to bed early.

Oh yeah - all of his belongings are now in my garage (he doesn't own much).  A project I have been looking forward to is helping him put his portfolio together and now that I have access to all his drawings, maybe I will surprise him by having it started when he gets out.  I need a fun enjoyable project.

He's still got a long road ahead of him.  One day at a time.


Peace, Hope and Love,
Barbara

7 comments:

Midnitefyrfly said...

One day at a time indeed. I am hopeful for Ant and i am thankful to feel that you are keeping positive throughout this time. Being strong for someone means taking care of you too.

I am also hoping that this is a wakeup call x 2 and will have double the effect in saving two boys' lives.

lots and lots of (((HUGS))) my friend xo

Tom at recoveryhelpdesk.com said...

I've spent some time at bedsides of people who overdosed, and it is rough but powerful.

On the practical side, I think it is important to monitor medical care in this day and age.

I took someone to the ER who overdosed once. They didn't have enough curtained "rooms" in the ER so they wheeled his bed out into the hall and left him there for hours unconscious! This after I told him I didn't think he was breathing well and they had started oxygen (what if I hadn't been there to notice)?

I've spent enough time with people with addiction in medical settings to know there are many medical staff who treat them badly or take less care with them.

I've seen some amazing doctors and nurses too...and I'm related to quite a few! But I still think it pays to be there letting them know someone is watching, caring and loving that person.

Barbara said...

Midnite I am very hopeful too. I feel very happy right this moment. Kind of like "its all going to be ok". This damn well better be a wake up call for those two!!

Tom, thank goodness you were there for this person. I have to say that all the nurses I have met at this particular hospital (a rather small) have been great. They all treat him with care and talked to him even when he was "out". The doctors are not as friendly but I suppose that's not what their all about. Nurses are the ones that do all the daily care, doctors need to know what's best to do.

Heather's Mom said...

I am so glad you are relaxing and going to bed early. And I am so thankful for all the good news in this post. Ahhhhhhhh (That's my sigh of relief...).

Midnitefyrfly said it right when she said "hoping that this is a wakeup call x2". I have faith in A & K :)

Thank you for keeping us posted on what's going on even though you've been handling so much!

Good night to you :)

justLacey said...

I am so happy to hear that Keven is doing well. I know this is not easy for him and hope he continues to make progress.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Much good news in this post today and it made me smile.

I am curious - will the timeline for Ant's OD be discussed? .... you indicated the other day he could have gotten high with his gf. If that is the case, she needs to be kept away from him.

Having a cool PO will make K's next step easier indeed.

Still saying prayers.

Addiction--Mom trying to Detach with Love said...

Hey, I read on your facebook that Ant is breathing on his own!! I am so happy the Lord answered the many prayers that were sent to him. I hope he truly sees the love you all have for him and runs with the opportunity to live that the Lord has given him. I am excited for you all today, this is good news!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...