January 12, 2010

P.S. I am mad

Just read a blog that reminded me that not all "criminals" are treated equally.  I am very grateful that the "system" recognized right away that my son is an addict that needs rehabilitaion and has been given a chance to have the felonies removed from his record (after 18 months of the program he's in, if he meets all the criteria).

Ant, on the other hand, is much deeper into addiction than K and he has always been seen as a criminal because of his very first arrest.  This kid has been to juvenile hall and jail countless times and to state prison twice.  He's never been offered anything "good" like K has.  They always throw him the crumbs...the bottom of the barrel programs. 

I'm not blaming the system.  I know its HIS CHOICE to keep using.  I'm just saying that I hope now someone (who? his parole officer?) will evaluate the situation looking at him as a whole person, not just a junkie with a long criminal record.  I think he'd do so great in PH and he tried hard to get in (writing letters etc) but to no avail.

His mom was an addict (she died 7 years ago), his dad a life-long criminal (grand theft, etc).  Is it any surprise at all that his life is the way it is?  His first arrest was at age 16 when he got pulled over in a stolen car - that his father stole, not him, but who's gonna believe that?  Shortly after that he got into drugs. 

Now he's lying there on life support, no medical insurance, no home, no car, no job, no rehab to go back to.  I hope someone notices this and sees that he is a valuable human being that deserves another opportunity to get better.  If not, the future looks pretty crappy for him.


Peace, Hope and Love,
Barbara

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...