May 10, 2010

Helplessly Hoping ~ Let Go Hang On

I just finished reading Peggy's blog, Helplessly Hoping, where she shares the details of getting her daughter Hayley into Detox to be followed by Rehab.

It's quite a story!  It seems like just yesterday that her daughter wanted nothing to do with recovery or getting better and now she's in the process.  The long, difficult, process has begun so we can hope and pray she sticks with it.  Peggy is relieved to have her there but it brings a new concern "will she stay?".

Do we ever stop wondering if they will stay on the right path?  Even after three years of staying clean someone I know and love dearly relapsed recently and it was devastating because I had not expected it.

Anna's daughter, Let Go Hang On, is also staying clean right now and is at home with her family.  Its been wonderful to read about her the last week or so - how she's been working in the yard with her dad, playing tennis with her sister, visiting her grandmother.  It sounds so healthy....yet she still has demons to battle.  Such a sweet girl.

Both these young women have loving families and so much to live for, so much potential (don't all our kids?)

Its funny, I see a bit of my son in almost all the addicts I know.  That makes me wonder if its they type of personality that becomes an addict or if its the type of personality you develop because you're an addict?

As for my son - he just left for probation.  I LOVE probation : )  I wish he could stay on it forever...just kidding...sort of.


Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

11 comments:

Heather's Mom said...

Needed a "feel good" post :) Laughed at your last line!
So happy for Hayley & Beth.
God bless.

A Mom' Serious Blunder said...

I have often wondered that to Barbara. I see many similar personality traits in many addicts.

Syd said...

I think that there is something different about the brains of addicts. But I do think that those who live around addicts eventually become very sick themselves. I think that co-dependency is a learned response.

Anna said...

Thanks for thinking of us Barbara.
You are so positive eventhough you do know the territory.

Jan said...

Barbara, you are right. I wonder all the time if this will be the time Stevie stays clean. It is my mantra! Thanks for reminding us that there is hope!
I loved probation, but even that was not boundary enough to keep Stevie clean. Good look with your son!

parentofanaddictcdcb said...

I wonder every day she is clean whether she'll stay on the right path. After 6 rehabs, 5 of them in the last 2 years...it's really hard to hang on to hope. But as hard as it is, I still see it. Sometimes it's just a glimmer or a thought but other times it's full blown, all out HOPE. In capital letters! And that's a good thing because it should be there. It's the motor that keeps us going...
God bless,
Carolyn

parentofanaddictcdcb said...

I wonder every day she is clean whether she'll stay on the right path. After 6 rehabs, 5 of them in the last 2 years...it's really hard to hang on to hope. But as hard as it is, I still see it. Sometimes it's just a glimmer or a thought but other times it's full blown, all out HOPE. In capital letters! And that's a good thing because it should be there. It's the motor that keeps us going...
God bless,
Carolyn

Barbara said...

H's Mom, glad I could make you laugh :)

Mom's SB, It seems they all have similar traits, like maybe a certain personality is more likely to try drugs in the first place. I also know a few addicts that don'g fit that at all.

Syd, Science has shown there is a difference in a lot of diseases, addiction included.

Anna, I have to try and stay positive, I just know anything is possible.

Jan, well to be honest the reason probation works so well for Keven because of he is obsessive about doing it "right" and paranoid about going back to jail.

parent, That's a lot of rehabs. I understand how you would lose hope with each one, but am glad you keep HOPE overall.

Sherry said...

Hi Barbara -

I have an award for you at my blog!

Kristin said...

I used to wish my daughter just had the addiction! Really, I thought, wouldn't that be easier. Let her hit rock bottom, scrape herself off and go seek help. With mental illness there is no bottom, it just keeps dropping away. For my daughter, at least. But, then I read your posts and those of the other bloggers in your "group" and I have come to think that it is all the same shit.
Now, I read these blogs looking for signs of healthy progress - addiction or mental illness, it doesn't matter. Staying clean and interacting with the world. Two common stumbling blocks for our loved ones. Any sign of recovery from any of them makes me smile.
Your line about probation makes me think of the first few days my daughter would be in a treatment facility. She would be on good behavior and there would be calm breathing space in our house.
xx kris

Kansas Bob said...

I understand what you are saying about probation.. I remember having those thoughts way back when.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...