May 5, 2010

Motherless Day

Father's Day is hard for me.  My father died when I was 15.  My son's father is not really much of a father.

Mother's Day must be hard for a lot of people.  I know it is for Anthony.  I miss that kid a lot.  Prison is a lot different than jail.  No weekly visits, no phone calls.  Just letters.  And my letters to him have been less and less, I need to write him.  I need to remind him how much he's loved.

Anthony's mom grew up around here, went to high school with my sister.  She was a nice quiet girl that got mixed up with a tough guy drug user.  They got married and had Anthony and his brother but both parents were wild partiers, heavy drug users and in and out of jail.

Ant was sent to live with his grandparents till his mom could get it together.  At one point she was in a meth lab explosion and 80% of her was burned.  I think Anthony was around 10 at that time and it was frightening to see her after all the surgery's and skin graphs.

Then one night, while under the influence, she went out on her motorcycle and ran into a truck.  Dead on impact.  He was 14.

He went downhill fast after that, started using drugs and getting in trouble with the law.  For the first year I knew him everyone said "don't mention his mom" so I didn't.  But then one day I thought "I am not going to pretend this didn't happen...he needs to talk about it".  He cried and cried and thanked me for letting him get it out.

God I miss his hugs.  I love being his adopted mom, "Mamma B".  Drugs take the most wonderful people and turn them into something so sad, desperate, ruthless.  I know Anthony is GOOD.  He is good but his actions and decisions are horrible.

This little bundle of joy is Joshua Havoc P., Anthony's son.  He's two now and running around with a curly head of hair causing havoc.

9 comments:

Sherry said...

That's why Keven is lucky to have you on Mother's Day and you to have him!

Anthony's baby is soooo cute!! He's also very blessed to have the opportunity to be a father!

Hope you have a beautiful day today!

LisaC said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Anthony is soooo blessed to have you in his life. And that beautiful baby is something to live for and get clean for. I will continue to pray for him and you.

Carolyn said...

What an adorable child. So much hope and possibility wrapped up in an adorable package!
Anthony's story is heart wrenching...thank God for you being there.
My children don't have much of a father either. He is an alcoholic and drug addict who is still using. This is hardest for my addicted daughter who has all the "memories" since she was 10 when we split up and he has hardly bothered with them since.
Prayers and hugs being sent your way.

justLacey said...

I find it odd that people criticize the addict parent of their children, but think Anthony's story is sad. While it is a sad story up until now, the saddest part is Anthony's son's story if Anthony doesn't change. Why is is wrong to have it done to him, but not wrong that he is doing it to some other poor child? Anthony's boy will grow up thinking his dad loved drugs better than him and you all know that. How could he not?

Syd said...

I wonder about the decision to have a child when a parent is a drug addict. But maybe there wasn't a decision. Maybe it just happened. I hope that this little child will have a chance to live a good life and know that he is loved. Thus far, Anthony seems to be thinking more about drugs than his child.

~ Tabitha ~ said...

xo

Heather's Mom said...

You are so caring and empathetic. I'll say it for the hundredth time - praise God Ant has you! Thanks you for sharing what you do with us so we all get to know Ant and how GOOD he is too!
I pray for him daily, but will remember to say a special prayer for him this Mother's Day.
God bless.

Bristolvol said...

What a cutie! I hope he has all the parenting and support he needs while Ant is in jail. So sad that he cannot see his little boy grow up on a daily basis. He is beautiful and looks very happy. You are right, there is as much beauty amidst the darkness as we are able to see.

Addiction--Mom trying to Detach with Love said...

Anthony has had a hard life so far for sure, but one made much more joyful because you are in it. As Lisa said, I will also say it again, how lucky you are to have each other and he has a Mother in you. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...