June 11, 2010

Always Be Prepared for Things to Not Go As Planned

WHAT A DAY!

So as not to alarm anyone with the photo - Keven is fine but we had a horrible experience this afternoon.

Today went nothing like planned that's for sure.

Keven saw his doctor at 2 pm as planned.  They talked for almost an hour and Dr. H gave him one dose of Zyprexa Zydis (a sublingual form of Zyprexa).  He said he wanted to see how he reacted to it and he also increases his dose of Abilify.  The plan was to watch Keven over the weekend and decide on Monday if he needed hospitalization.  Keven assured me that if Dr. H said he did, he would go without putting up a fight.

On the way home Keven started nodding out and by the time we got home he was completely incoherent!  He would respond if I shook him but he could not stay conscious for more than a second or two at a time.  Then he threw up.

We called 911 and he was taken to the ER.  We had the nicest doctor I've ever met in my life.  You could tell he cared and he gave Keven a good "talk" about his relapse last night.  He was so kind and encouraging.

After all the usual tests and a few bags of IV fluids (which seemed to really help him feel better) they released him.

I called Dr. H to tell him Kev was in ER and he said "that shouldn't have happened".  Well no kidding!  What if he would have been alone and passed out while driving!!!!!

I remained calm through the whole ordeal and we had some good conversations.  He told me he regretted doing the H yesterday more than anything he'd ever done and swore he never wanted to do it again, but just had to have a release from all he was going through.  I choose to believe that.

We are going to start writing in a journal each day tracking exactly how he feels, what's going on with him mentally, emotionally and physically and exactly what meds he takes each day.  He said he will go to the "psych ward" if he has to.  He promised he would not fight it.  I choose to believe that too.

At this moment, I feel an immense amount of love and closeness with my son.  I see on a daily basis what he goes through - and then to have this random thing happen to him on top of all that.  I think maybe its a good thing we are getting a new doctor because as much as I like Dr. H it scares me to death to think that Keven would have passed out while driving if he had been alone.

I am sooooooooooo ready for bed.

Thanks for all the comments, care, concern (the three C's!)

Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

12 comments:

Peggy said...

Barbara - can't believe all that you're going through right now with Keven. And poor, dear Keven. I can't help but think that these latest crises have coalesced in to an action plan. And the fact that Keven is willing to get the help he needs, is so encouraging. The daily journaling sounds like a terrific idea. It will document the mood swings so that perhaps, a pattern will emerge and a more accurate diagnosis can be made. Getting a new doctor sounds like a good idea. Hope this new one is up to speed on some things. Go to bed and rest, Barbara. You must be so wrung out. If I lived closer, I would come and sit with you so you could truly relax and sleep. I'll be checking in. Peggy

Addiction--Mom trying to Detach with Love said...

His reaction to that medication must have really scared you. I am so sorry he is having to go through all the anguish, but it may all lead to an answer. I will continue to pray about it and hope you and Keven get some rest and peace this weekend. (((HUGS)))

Em said...

I'm so glad you areour family :) enjoying my blog, and I want to say that I am so sorry for what you are going through right now with Keven. I am praying for you and for your family. email me if you ever need anything at all

Syd said...

Barb, take care and hope that you get some rest. The journal sounds like a good idea.

parentofanaddictcdcb said...

Given the load of meds he is on I'm not surprised that the Zyprexa tipped him over the edge. I'm glad he cam through it okay but I'm so concerned about both of you right now. I'm praying for answers. Please keep us updated. As always, we are here.
Carolyn

~~BRB Queen~~ said...

Prayers for your family. Don't forget to take care of YOU.

Her Big Sad said...

That's teach me to miss a few days following my blogging family. I'm so sorry Barbara.... Please, please, please, find some time to take care of you too. Prayers continue - i'll email later this weekend - sorry this is short! LOVE, HUGS and PRAYERS!!

Kansas Bob said...

One that comes through each time you write Barbara is how blessed Keven is to have a mom like you.

Heather's Mom said...

Sending love, hugs and prayers!
My gosh that had to have been sooooooo scary - for you and K both! My gosh!
Sounds like you and K have a great plan with logging everything... oh I hope the new dr can figure out the right meds... K is really being a trooper!
I believe he really is trying his very best and I don't think he likes it any more than you do.
God bless.

LL Cool Joe said...

You are a wonderful mother.

Barbara said...

Joe - you made me cry. Thanks.

Annette said...

Oh Barbara, How scary!!! You poor things. I am so glad to hear that Keven is open to the idea of hospitalization...he must be feeling pretty desperate. I think of once he gets stabilized and the story he will have to share and the hope he will bring to other young men who struggle like him. He is handsome, young, strong, and honest about his stuff it seems. What a brave young man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...