June 26, 2010

Something is not right

You know how you just KNOW when something is not right with your loved one(s)? I have a very strong feeling that something is up with Keven but I am not sure what it is. He's being drug tested twice a week, but sometimes he seems "off" to me. I am suspicious. I don't know what he's up to. He's doing all the things he needs to be doing, he's being very pleasant and friendly...but I just know something is not right.

There's not much I can do but let nature take its course. He will do what he's going to do. I can't stop him. Maybe he's not doing anything, maybe this is his new "normal". Its hard to know with all the med changes.

Which reminds me, we got a written diagnosis for him. Its not bipolar after all (according to the doctor who's seen him about 20 times in the last six months).  He says Keven has "Schizoaffective Disorder".  I say "no! he's not that messed up is he?" but then I read my own words here on this blog and I remember back to some of the terrifying episodes of seeing delusional and hallucinating.

I don't want to believe it.  I don't want to accept it.  I hate it.  I hate all this crap and I want to turn back the clock about five years and get a "re-do" and try to steer him in a different path.  But if it truly is a mental illness, then there would be no steering away from it.  

I feel tired right now.  And discouraged.  And confused.  Is all this real?  Does he really need meds or are they making him worse?  I feel myself sinking into denial again.  I just want to "not think about it" and maybe it will go away....

Here is a brief description of S.D. from NAMI's website:

"Schizoaffective disorder is one of the more common, chronic, and disabling mental illnesses. As the name implies, it is characterized by a combination of symptoms of schizophrenia and an affective (mood) disorder.

To diagnose schizoaffective disorder, a person needs to have primary symptoms of schizophrenia (such as delusions, hallucinations, disorganized speech, disorganized behavior) along with a period of time when he or she also has symptoms of major depression or a manic episode

The most effective treatment for schizoaffective disorder is a combination of drug treatment and psychosocial interventions. The medications include antipsychotics along with antidepressants or mood stabilizers. 

There has been much less research on psychosocial treatments for schizoaffective disorder than there has been in schizophrenia or depression. However, the available evidence suggests that cognitive behavior therapy, brief psychotherapy, and social skills training are likely to have a beneficial effect. Most people with schizoaffective disorder require long-term therapy with a combination of medications and psychosocial interventions in order to avoid relapses, and maintain an appropriate level of functioning and quality of life."

Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

4 comments:

Syd said...

I know that I sound like a broken record, but I hope that you will take care of yourself at this time. Having fear about Keven can be consuming if you let it. If there is a diagnosis then hopefully there will be effective treatment. I am sending good thoughts your way Barb.

Barbara said...

Thanks, Syd.

Kris - I know that's why I am so confused these days. I BELIEVE what I am reading in the book. I have only just scratched the surface, I am reading it slowly.

Bristolvol said...

What an inspiring thought on top of this comment box. I am hoping that Keven will be diagnosed properly soon and given the right medications if necessary. Have you ever thougt about doing genetic research? Sometimes certain mental and physical genetic problems skip a generation. Just a thought.

Tracy said...

My mother had bipolar disorder my entire life, but was once diagnosed schizoaffective. Kristin is right. All medicine is as much an art as it is a science - I am relearning this with my brother's brain tumor. A doctor's diagnosis, as well as her prognosis, is just a best guess. There is an incredible amount of divine intervention and individuality that influences the outcome. From my experience, the thing that will serve him best is staying involved with people who are reality-based, not drug- or delusion-altered. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...