June 24, 2010

Borderline Families


Kris of Borderline Families has been writing about a new book that's out:

"Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America" by Robert Whitaker.

For those of us who have loved ones who've been diagnosed with mental illness, this is a MUST READ book. Robert Whitaker's research is extensive and includes many, many case studies. The bottom line: Psychiatric Drugs are likely doing More Harm than Good, and the lifespan for a person on these meds continuously drops drastically.

I have always feared in the back of my mind that this could be the case. I've written about it here many times. I want to believe that the right combination of meds will solve all Keven's problems, but really - I don't know if they are helping or making him worse, or what...He seems better these days, but if the long term affects are a 25% shorter lifespan???

Anyhow, please read what Kris has to say. She is far more articulate than I could ever be.

Peace, Hope and Love,Barbara

3 comments:

Heather's Mom said...

Thanks for the referral :)
Figuring out meds, no meds, or certain combination... I don't know the answer, but know the worry. I just hope and pray Keven can guide you through what he is feeling until the answer becomes clear.
God bless.

Kristin said...

Barbara, Thank you for mentioning my blog on your blog. I know that deciding to medicate or not is a tough decision, especially when the person is symptomatic. You really WANT that quick fix - NOW. I know that I was cheering on some of the drug dispensing when my daughter was in treatment. Calm her down!
Now, of course, I am saddened that that was my response.
But, I didn't know better.
The book is unsettling and makes you toss some preconceived notions out the window. You have to - the evidence doesn't let you hang onto the outmoded, false medical model.
I am still reeling.

beachteacher said...

However,...there's no reason to "toss the baby out w/the bathwater" either. Medication SO helps so many people dramatically,....which I've seen with my own eyes,repeatedly. Gosh,..so much of these problems and others that affect behavior are physically caused, period. I haven't read the book, but I do know that medication can miraculously help people that have previously been blamed or shamed for what's been their problems.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...