October 24, 2011

Annual Walk Against Drugs


This past Saturday we had our annual drug walk.  I have mixed feelings about, but generally think its a good thing.  It sort of makes me sad though, because Keven walked this walk several times in his school years.  Drug Awareness had the opposite affect on him - it triggered a curiosity in drugs rather than a desire to stay away from them.  I know several of you who have said the same thing about your sons.

So the question is:  WHAT CAN WE DO TO STEER KIDS AWAY FROM DRUG ABUSE?

I honestly don't know if there's a way.

How many of you remember watching "Red Asphalt" or similar driver's ed films designed to scare the heck out of young drivers?  The idea was, if we were shown in graphic, real images what can happen if we drink and drive - or drive to fast, etc; we would choose NOT to risk it.

Well, I hate to admit how many times I drank and drove as a youth, and how many times I drove way too fast for the fun of it.  And today we have texting and driving to worry about too.

I don't know if we can scare or educate kids away from drug use.  But what can we do?  Drug test them?  Threaten them?  Beg them?  Just be the best damn parents we can be and hope that they make good choices?

Its sad to me to see all those people marching againstdrugs knowing that some of them will end up addicted, or dead.

Thanks for checking out the advertising links here....and triple thanks if you made a purchase. I appreciate it so much. Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

6 comments:

beachteacher said...

ugh...I don't know, but I do know that DARE does NOT work...and our country is spending a lot of $$$ on it. I guess we should work more on our kids' anxieties and self esteems more than anything else.

Tori said...

I agree with beachteacher. Like Keven all it did was make B curious.

beachteacher said...

It made D curious too. He said that was what first sparked his interest in drugs. : (

Mary Christine said...

I always wanted a bumper sticker that said:
DARE to mind your own business.

My daughter the drug addict wore a DARE shirt for years. She loved it. I certainly don't think THAT program worked.

And the "war on drugs" just put too many people in prison and ruined their lives.

yaya said...

Legalize, Tax and Control. Revenue for education and rehap.

When you keep doing the same old thing hoping for different results it's called INSANITY.

Bar L. said...

Mary Christine,

Well said, I agree. It makes me angry/sad to see all the time, effort, resources and MONEY put into programs that are ineffective. If we know this --- why don't they know it? Must be a profit maker for someone out there.

Yaya, I am a huge proponent of legalizing marijuana, I firmly believe its less dangerous than alcohol. Would you suggest legalizing heroin? That thought scares the shit out of me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...